Using the Instant Pot for steaming spaghetti squash is my new kitchen hack. In less than 10 minutes, you can pull together a healthy family meal. Plus this can be enjoyed with or without the ground turkey protein add-on.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes (squash); add +10 minutes for the ground turkey portion
- One, spaghetti squash, cut lengthwise and seeded
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp (1 oz) Ghee
- 1 tbsp high quality, organic olive oil
- 2-3 organic garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp iodized sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- ½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)
For protein add-on:
- Organic, pesticide free, free-range lean ground turkey
- 1/3 cup organic red onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 1 organic garlic clove, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
Instructions for Squash
- Pour water into the Instant Pot and then place the metal trivet (handles side up) into the pot.
- Place the spaghetti squash halves cut side up on top of the trivet. Seal the Instant Pot and cook at high pressure (“manual"/"pressure cook" function) for 7-9 minutes (for a tender texture). **be sure to apply a quick pressure release to completely depressurize after cooking!
- Carefully remove the spaghetti squash from the Instant Pot. Place on a clean flat surface and shred the squash using a fork to remove the spaghetti-like strands into a bowl (if it is too hot, let it cool a little first).
- Empty the water out of the Instant Pot and wipe dry before returning the pot back to the device. Set the Instant Pot to “sauté.”
- Place the ghee and olive oil into the Instant Pot and let the mixture completely melt. Then stir in the garlic cloves, salt, and pepper. Let it cook for 1-2 minutes until the garlic is lightly browned (careful to not burn it).
- Press “cancel” to turn off the Instant Pot. Return the spaghetti squash to the Instant Pot along with the parmesan cheese (optional) and rosemary. Toss together to evenly coat the spaghetti squash with everything.
**NOTE: Use only organic parmesan cheese from a block to ensure that it melts properly & isn’t full of chemicals. Often, pre-grated/shredded cheeses have an anti-caking ingredient (or stabilizer) added. YUCK!
Instructions for Ground Turkey
- Coat large saucepan with olive oil to prevent sticking
- Place chopped red onion, garlic clove in large saucepan and saute’ on the stovetop for 3-5 minutes
- Add ground turkey and actively chop with spatula as it cooks (to create a crumble like consistency)
- Once cooked, drain any excess fat if needed. Return to pan and add in fresh oregano, salt and pepper, to taste.
- Let simmer until Instant Pot Spaghetti Squash finishes up.
Add the ground turkey mixture to the instant pot mixture and combine until everything is well coated. Best served immediately. Top with additional grated parmesan, if desired.
This also reheats great so leftovers can also be enjoyed!
Recipe inspiration & photo cred goes to yayforfood.com